Every year, the third week of March is designated "Poison Prevention Week", making the month of March our awareness month. Just as we need to watch our kids and prevent against contact with toxins, we also need to watch the little critters in our lives, and homes, that can also come into contact with food, medication, plants and other objects that can be poisonous to their system.
What can we watch for? Human medications, while, many times, prescribed for our health, can be dangerous for our furry friends. Many prescription drugs, such as antidepressants, have been commonly ingested by dogs and can cause serious harm. Also, over-the-counter medications, such as drugs containing acetaminophen, and NSAIDs, are common medications that pets can get into and that can cause adverse effects to our canine and feline friends. These are just a few examples of toxic medications for our pets. If your pet ingests any medications that are not their own, please contact your veterinarian for more information.
Like myself, I am sure that many of you find yourself in the kitchen and a piece of food slips off the counter onto the floor. With pets in the home, you will need to watch these occurrences and keep your furry friend from picking up those stray pieces, if they are toxic. In the kitchen, foods such as:
There are many other toxins and chemicals in our homes. In our cabinets, garbage, shed or garage, keep your pets away from:
We may look at the plants in our homes and yards and think nothing of the poisonous effects they may have on our pets, distracted by their beauty, but plants can also have toxic results on dogs and cats. Plants like:
Poison prevention starts first with recognition; recognizing what is toxic for your pet will help with the prevention of ingestion. Get to know pet poisons, and if your pet ingests any of them, do not wait for symptoms to occur; seek immediate care.